J-Say Voice Input/Output Technology
What is J-Say Pro?
J-Say Pro brings together Dragon NaturallySpeaking professional version 11.5, from Nuance, and JAWS For Windows version 13.0, from Freedom Scientific.
However although the product integrates these two applications, it also presents the User with an easy to understand interface enabling interaction with the computer using natural language and easy to remember and understand vocabulary.
Who can use it?
As the product has evolved the range of people who are benefiting from the technology has increased. From people who simply want to be more productive and use their voice as an additional means of computer input and control, to individuals who have complex combinations of needs, and who find it difficult if not impossible to make use of computer technology using traditionally accepted methods of input access and control.
Even more remarkably many people interacting with this technology do not have a visual impairment simply finding it difficult or uncomfortable to use the computer screen and so find the J-Say Pro approach more suited to their needs.
What applications does J-Say Pro work with?
J-Say Pro provides access to applications which reflect the three most common things which people need to do with computers on a day-to-day basis.
Complete access to this application is made possible enabling people, without having to touch the keyboard or look at the screen, to create documents, control text layout, fill in forms and other complex documents, and open/save files, amongst other things.
If you need to word process, doing it the J-Say way takes away the need to use either one's hands or one's eyes, do it all controlling the application with your voice and accessing the computer screen with your ears.
If you need to work with e-mail, then J-Say Pro provides you with a set of tools to enable you to take complete control of anything e-mail related.
From creating messages to Email navigation, moving and copying messages to folders, to keeping track of your schedule through the Outlook calendar. Our user interface to Microsoft Outlook provides the user with fast, efficient and effective access and control to all aspects of the application.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
J-Say Pro technology provides intuitive access to all aspects of internet navigation and control. From the finding, launching and browsing of WebPages, to the completion of web forms such as searches and shopping carts, J-Say provides the user with natural language internet access like never before.
Whatever the supported application one is working in you are never more than a simple voice command away from interactive help. From where you are on the screen, how to interact with a particular control, right through to obtaining a comprehensive list of commands, the J-Say Help system has been designed to be friendly and easily accessible from anywhere.
What Else Can I Expect from J-Say Pro?
- Dictate text in a natural way and have it instantly echoed back to you.
- Rapidly move through list items, words, lines, sentences and paragraphs and have the selected unit spoken back.
- Use natural language commands to gain access to the many features of JAWS for Windows. For example, say the words "Be Quiet" to instantly silence the speech synthesiser, or "talk faster" and "talk slower" to change the rate of the speech.
- Create J-Say Shortcuts which can reproduce lengthy text passages (such as twenty paragraphs) with a single voice command.
- Take control of your Braille display with J-Say Professional. If you use a Braille display, it is no longer necessary to remember the key combinations to control the Braille output. These commands will also prove to be a tremendous advantage to people who can read Braille, but who do not have the dexterity necessary to press buttons or keys on the unit.
- Execute many commonly used procedures within the WINDOWS operating system with voice commands. Good examples would be to move directly to the WINDOWS Desktop or to maximise the application and document windows, so that the program fills the entire screen.
- Teach the software how you pronounce words and phrases, such as terminology of a technical nature, with our interface which allows you to easily add words and phrases to the vocabulary. Our special utility can also be used by sighted assistants if necessary. Alternatively, use the superb access to the NaturallySpeaking Professional correction system. J-Say Pro can speak the individual components of the correction dialogue box either in their entirety or individually.
- The J-Say Pro Configuration Wizard lets you take control of all the product's special functions without the need to remember a number of voice commands.
- J-Say Pro will not only read the text necessary to train the system to recognise the human voice, but it will also intelligently teach the user to intonate correctly during this process. J-Say Pro will advise you upon request how much of the training text still needs to be read and provides context sensitive help while managing other aspects of voice profile configuration.
- Move through tables easily either within Internet Explorer or Microsoft Word. Again, the navigation language is simple to learn with no complications.
- Use our slick Back-Up and restore utilities to make a permanent copy of your speech files and restore them at a later date if necessary.
- Use a voice command to check whether all your applications have been exited, prior to closing the computer down. If they have not, J-Say Pro will place focus upon the application which is active, advise you what it is, and invite you to close it.
Podcast - J-Say Features
Please download any of the audio files below for a demonstration of J-Say 10.0 features!
Further Information about J-Say Professional
Assuming a level of installation and training is purchased, J-Say Pro can be easily configured to allow a physically disabled and visually impaired person to independently carry out tasks such as dialling telephone numbers, through to using software-based DVD and DAISY talking book players. J-Say Pro can also be customised to perform optimally with non-standard applications used in the workplace.
Please read our What's New in J-Say Pro Version 10.0 web page which describes the very latest J-Say features.
It is important that the computer on which J-Say Pro and associated products are to be installed conforms to the following minimum specification.
1.8ghz Intel Dual Core, or equivalent AMD processor
3GB of RAM.
16-Bit 'on board' soundcard (Full duplex) or compatible USB Digital Sound Converter.
All releases of Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows7.
Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010.
Prior to obtaining J-Say Pro the user must have obtained and installed the JAWS for Windows 13.0 (build 718) Screen Reader. The J-Say Pro product is then intricately linked to the serial number of the JAWS software.
In addition, version 11.5 of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional edition must be purchased separately and installed.
The J-Say Package
- The J-Say Pro CD ROM, which when inserted presents the user with an "Install Shield" making the interface simple and intuitive to install.
- The J-Say Pro User Guide in Print (a Braille copy can be provided upon request). A copy of the "Learning Module" can be downloaded from this web page or sent to you in print upon request.
- A documentation CD ROM containing the J-Say Pro User Guide in Microsoft Word format.
In the J-Say package you will receive:
About the J-Say Pro User Guide
The J-Say Pro User Guide comprises three Books. The first Book consists of the "Installation Guide", which gives you step by step detail on how to install your J-Say Pro product. It goes onto describe the voice training enrolment process and how to configure the Windows operating system, associated applications and the J-Say software to perform optimally.
Finally, the "Installation Guide" discusses the hardware and software which should be used to ensure you can get the most from the J-Say Pro interface, all using non-technical language where possible and delivered from the perspective of visually impaired people wishing to install the product.
The second volume consists of a J-Say tutorial or "Learning Module". The tutorial teaches you how to use J-Say with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer, together with describing our help utilities, how you can work with non-supported applications and how you can educate the software to learn how you pronounce words and phrases. Again, the language used is not technical, delivered using step-by-step instructions.
J-Say technology is available within the United States of America & Canada. The J-Say master distributors for these countries are listed below. However there are a number of companies who sell J-Say locally, and the master distributors should be contacted, via the following links, for further details.
Serving the United States of America and Canada.
In addition J-Say is also available in Australia & New Zealand, please contact our main office for details.
Subscribing to the J-Say Mailing List
An E-Mail list has been established to discuss all aspects of the J-Say product line. In particular, it can be used as a vehicle for product suggestions or for gaining assistance from other J-Say users.
To subscribe, send a blank message by activating the following link:
Related Pages about J-Say
Please activate any one of the following links to learn about the J-Say product family.
Sue Martin, J-Say beta tester and co-author of a new tutorial on J-Say, recently gave a demonstration of J-Say Pro 6.1. Please activate this link to experience the audio and visual presentation.
Brian Hartgen, our Product Development Manager, wrote an article concerning the J-Say Bookmarks for an on-line publication published by Microsoft which you can read by activating this link.
Check out our J-Say User Stories page for interesting stories from some of our customers about how J-Say has benefited them.
Please activate the relevant link below to purchase J-Say Professional CD or download. As well as the available upgrade options: